Wright, G. Ernest (George Ernest), 1909-1974Alternative names
George Ernest Wright was a leading Old Testament scholar and biblical archaeologist. He was known for his expertise in ancient Near Eastern archaeology, especially in the study and dating of pottery.
From the description of George Ernest Wright. Papers, 1924-1994. (Harvard University, Divinity School Library). WorldCat record id: 500728037
George Ernest Wright (1909-1974), a leading Old Testament scholar and biblical archaeologist, was known for his expertise in Ancient Near Eastern archaeology, especially in the study and dating of pottery. As a Christian scholar, Wright was a staunch defender of the relevance of Old Testament study to the Christian faith. Born in Ohio, he was the son of a Presbyterian minister and received his B.A. from the College of Wooster (Ohio). He received his Bachelor of Divinity from McCormick Theological Seminary in 1934, the same year he was ordained in the Presbyterian church. He studied with William Foxwell Albright at Johns Hopkins University, where he received his M.A. (1936) and PhD. (1937). He taught Old Testament History and Theology at McCormick Seminary from 1939-1958. He joined the faculty of Harvard Divinity School in 1958, where he was Parkman Professor and the Curator of the Semitic Museum (the latter beginning in 1961) until his death in 1974. Professor Wright published numerous monographs and articles on subjects ranging from biblical theology to Palestinian archaeology. Some of his publications include: God Who Acts, Biblical Theology as Recital (1952); Biblical Archaeology (1957); Shechem, Biography of a Biblical City (1965); and The Old Testament and Theology (1969). He was also the founder of the periodical The Biblical Archaeologist, and directed three archaeological expeditions during his teaching career: the Drew-McCormick Archaeological Expedition to Shechem (1956-1974); the Hebrew Union College Biblical and Archaeological School Expedition at Tell Gezer (1964-1965); and the Joint American Expedition to Idalion, Cyprus (1971-1974).
From the guide to the Papers, 1924-1994., (Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School)
- Ain Shems (Palestine) (as recorded)
- Palestine (as recorded)