Bain, Wilfred C.Alternative names
Dean IU School of Music, 1947-1973.
Wilfred C. Bain came to IU in 1947 when the School of Music was still quite small and had not yet established a national reputation. Bain quickly went to work establishing the IU Opera Theater whose first performance was held in 1948. He brought to Bloomington a top rate faculty that helped to expand the program. During his tenure, IU held numerous world premieres of operas and plays. He retired in 1973 when he reached the mandatory retirement age for administrators. Bain died in 1997.
From the description of Oral history interview of the IU Music School Oral History Project, 1983. (Indiana University). WorldCat record id: 47942772
- Music school administrators--Interviews
- Music teachers--Biography
- Music school administrators--Biography
- Music--Instruction and study--History--20th century--Sources
- Music teachers--Interviews
- Conservatories of music--Administration--History--20th century--Sources
- Indiana--Bloomington (as recorded)