Brandt, Marianne, 1893-1983Alternative names
Marianne Brandt (1893-1983) enrolled in the Bauhaus in 1924 where she was the first woman to study in the metal workshop. She succeeded her teacher, László Moholy-Nagy, as the workshop's director in 1928. After leaving the Bauhaus in 1929, she worked for a brief period in Walter Gropius's firm before becoming head of the applied arts design division at the Ruppelwerke metalwork factory, a position she held until 1932 when the collapse of the German economy caused her to return to her hometown of Chemnitz. As a photographer Brandt produced documentary and experimental work and photomontages.
From the description of [Photographs of German trade show displays]. 1929-1932. (Getty Research Institute). WorldCat record id: 664321149
- Consumer goods--Design
- Trade shows
- Hamburg (Germany) (as recorded)
- Germany (as recorded)
- Chemnitz (Germany) (as recorded)